Sunday 8 March 2009

Gandhi Watch Auction...

Its kinda weird reading about it, all the stuff that came about coz of this auction. India wanting it back, the seller trying to yank the sale etc. Now I'll fess up, I know and respect the man because of the wonderful film by Sir Richard Attenborough with an incredible performance by Ben Kingsley in the role of the Mahatma. Non-violence and the defeat of an Empire by an extraordinary man... simply amazing stuff. I guess for some it warrants getting it back to India at any cost. My view is that it shouldn't have been put up for auction in the first place and donated to a museum in India. I guess the love of money & greed are still very much alive in these times and they're getting more innovative too :) what next? what next...

US$1.8mn for this... sandals, glasses, plate and bowl and a zenith pocketwatch
Photobucket
pic source: Antiquorum.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...